Watkin Wins All-Around As OV Gymnasts Earn Team Victory
The Lady Patriots came to Tuesday night’s meet with fire in their eyes and brimming with confidence coming off a team win at Southmont last week and a second place finish at the Bloomington South Invitational two weeks ago. Solid performances turned in by the three varsity members did not disappoint the OV faithful as the girls were able to secure another team victory with their highest team total of the season, 101.425.
Owen Valley freshman Anna Watkin swept three of four events, including the vault with a 9.35, floor with an 8.975 and beam with a 9.3. She also took second in the bars with a score of 8.6, just .05 points behind bars winner, Bloomington North’s Laura O’Connor. These fantastic scores led to her second all-around title of the year with a season high score of 36.225.
Senior Caitlin Norman also had a great night for the Lady Patriots as she finished with her highest allaround score of the year, a 33.225, good enough for fourth place. Norman placed third on vault with an 8.65, fourth on beam with an 8.2 and second on floor with a score of 8.875.
Rounding out the varsity roster Tuesday evening was sophomore Graceson Arthur who, despite somewhat of a rocky night, finished fifth on beam to help propel her squad to the win.
“All the girls have really pulled together,” OV assistant coach Rick Zufall said. “It’s great to see such great teamwork.”
The junior varsity Lady Patriots also competed Tuesday evening with Amanda Jacobs earning a 7.450 on vault and a 5.775 on floor; Darby DeFord a 3.975 on bars and a 4.750 on beam; and Eleanor Coffin a score of 4.450 on beam.
Owen Valley will spend the next few days perfecting their routines as they prepare for the Lady Cougar Invitational this Saturday at Bloomington North High School. The event will feature teams from all over the state. Last year’s meet saw competitors from Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Franklin Central, New Castle, New Palestine, Owen Valley, Jeffersonville, Martinsville, Perry Meridian and North Montgomery. Saturday’s meet is set to get underway at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday night’s meet scores were as follows:
1. Owen Valley - 101.425; 2. Bloomington North, 100.85; 3. Martinsville - 90.575
1. Anna Watkin, OV, 9.35; 2. O’Connor, BN, 8.75; 3.(t) Caitlin Norman, OV, 8.65; 3(t). Bales, M, 8.65; Graceson Arthur, OV, 8.425
1. O’Connor, BN, 8.65; 2. Anna Watkin, OV, 8.6; 3. Barker, BN, 7.95; Caitlin Norman, 7.5; Graceson Arthur, 7.375
1. Anna Watkin, OV, 9.3; 2. Lara, BN, 8.65; 3. O’Connor, 8.825; 4. Caitlin Norman, OV, 8.2; 5. Graceson Arthur, OV, 8.0
1. Anna Watkin, OV, 8.975; 2. Caitlin Norman, OV, 8.875; 3. O’Connor, BN, 8.825; Graceson Arthur, 8.175
1. Anna Watkin, OV, 36.225; 2. O’Connor, BN, 34.775; 3. Lara, BN, 33.85; 4. Caitlin Norman, OV, 33.225; Graceson Arthur, 31.975
© 2009-2016 Spencer Evening World, Inc.
No commercial reproduction without written consent.
Electronic reproduction of any kind forbidden without written consent.